Saturday 18 April 2015

Reflection - Presentation

I was one of the last few to present in class. I remembered being the one after Wei Ting, who left a strong impression on everyone with her slides done on Prezi. The pressure was on.

As I stood there and gave introduction on 'Dopamine', I felt confident. I felt the urge and enthusiasm to share what I have researched and prepared. The night before I spent a good 15-30 minutes just to practice the same introduction . Still, when I was front and center, I forgot my line. I knew that there was this one sentence that leads to the end of the introduction but my mind was blank.

As I tried harder to recall, my mind was flooded with thoughts, such as "Jovyn, you got to move on with the presentation", "Stop freezing there, SPEAK!" and "Maintain your composure". After a long 15 seconds of silence, I snapped out of it and carry on my presentation.

It was a painful pause. I was pretty upset about it because I know I can do much better than that. Nevertheless, I was contented that I kept my cool and finished it strong despite the major hiccup in the beginning. While I do enjoy giving speeches and speaking in front of a group of people, I know it takes a great amount of practice to deliver a good one. As the saying goes,  "Practice makes perfect".

No comments:

Post a Comment