Friday 6 March 2015

Influential Event


This event was one that took place back when I was 14. It was during the December holidays after I have completed my secondary two end-of-year examinations. I can clearly recall the happenings on that day and how it has changed my life forever. 

I was never an A-grader. My results were mediocre results ever since I embarked on the education journey. On that weekday afternoon, I was at my cousin's place after he accompanied me to school to purchase the huge load of textbooks for the next year. He was studying in a polytechnic at that moment so he had his own projects to work on. All I was left are big bags of textbooks and a set newspaper that day. Out of boredom and curiosity, I picked up the newspaper for the very first time and started flipping through.

It was somewhere in the “Home” section of the Straits Times, where the article is discussing about studying tips and some advices from educators who have “been there, done that”. Some tips that caught my eye were to “Start early, be ahead of your lectures” and also “Enjoy the process”.

Out of complete boredom, I thought to myself “Why not?” and begin unwrapping those textbooks and started reading the chapters.

Lo and behold, I started making notes and asking myself questions, which I clarified with the teachers when school reopened. The process of learning began to be more interesting and I actually enjoyed when my queries were being answered. The efforts paid off when I received my grades thereafter, and the positive reinforcement spurred me on to continue this habit, which eventually landed me in where I am today.

Indeed, the event was one so small, and to some, insignificant. It was just a little boy’s curiosity paired with a timely published article. Little does he know how his little act out of boredom would have brought him so much further in his journey of education.

(327 words)


3 comments:

  1. What do you think about the event described?

    It is interesting to have a glimpse into Jovyn's past and know what sparked off his interest in studying and knowledge. It is nice to see him enjoy learning.

    Does this post strike you as having been written “with heart” or not? How can you justify

    Yes, you gave very detailed and personal recount on the event and how it impacted you and changed the person you are today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jovyn,

    I really liked your reflection. I think it is really interesting how something as simple as a newspaper article can actually have so much impact on a persons life. Thanks for reminding me that inspiration can sometimes come from the seemingly small and insignificant!

    I like that the reflection seems very heartfelt, considering you remembered the event to such great details although it happened almost 6-7 years ago! Thanks for the good read:)

    Joycelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this influential event. It does give us a look into your past.

    ReplyDelete